Sunday, February 28, 2010

I'm in Switzerland, therefore I'm Neutral

Salut from Paris! I apologize as it seems I've become horribly lax on my blogging, there's just been so much to do and I hardly know where to begin!

Let's start with a recap of my weekend in Geneva, I'll do my best to remember the details seeing as this was essentially a month ago (how time flies when you're being European!). Going from Paris to Geneva was basically going from one end of the spectrum to another; the best way I can think of describing it would be like going from downtown Los Angeles to Santa Barbara. Both are nice, but completely different.

Geneva, as I was told, is pretty much an overgrown mountain village. Take Aspen, with about a hundred thousand more people, add lots of chocolate, watches, and banks, and poof, you have Geneva. With a population of just over 300,000, it's even smaller than Long Beach and I have no idea how much smaller than Paris. But as any resident will tell you, no one comes to Geneva for the bustling atmosphere or bumpin nightlife...in Switzerland, it's all about the Alps! Unfortunately for me, February in Europe was not cooperating, so the best view I got of the mountains was in the plane on the way back to Paris.

That being said, it was a great trip. It was wonderful being reunited with my BU ladies on another continent and it was a good experience to compare other BU abroad programs and obviously another country. It was a little ironic to me, however, that I probably spoke more French that weekend than I would in an entire week in Paris. This was mostly because the Geneva students aren't required to take french courses, thus many of them speak little to none of it. Also, Switzerland in general is composed mostly of foreigners, so they don't automatically start speaking in English at the first hint of an accent!

I won't even BEGIN to recount the worst day of my life, which was the day I tried to get back to Paris but let's just say that EasyJet is now my nemesis and forever on my "I hope they die and burn" list. Stay tuned for part II of this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment